Cancer burden in India has more than doubled in the last 26 years! The dreadful disease stare at the face of the country with the Indian Council Medical Research (ICMR) estimating more than 17.3 lakh new cancer cases and more than 8.8 lakh deaths due to the disease by 2020. The disturbing fact is that these numbers may be far lesser than the actual as there is an expected under-reporting of at least 50-100% due to non-availability of formal cancer registries.
Keeping in mind the impact on finances for the family whose member are affected by cancer, L.I.C of INDIA has brought out an exclusive plan – CANCER CARE that provides “financial fight” against cancer.
The following are the broad features of L.I.C’s Cancer Care Plan:
- The plan provides cover for both Early Stage / Major Stage Cancer detection
- The plan is available for a maximum of 30 years term (or) 75 years of the insured, which ever is lesser.
- The plan is available in two variants – A Fixed Sum Assured option & An increasing Sum Assured option where the cover gets increased by 10% every year for first 5 years
- Any person from 20 years till 65 years can avail the policy
- The minimum sum assured is fixed at 10 lakhs & the maximum is at 50 lakhs
- Only yearly & half-yearly mode of premium payment is allowed & the premiums are guaranteed for the 1st 5 years of the policy.
- Premiums paid are eligible for tax exemption u/s 80D of IT Act
- There is no maturity benefit / death benefit in this plan & hence the premiums are very cheap!
Now let us look at the benefits of the plan:
EARLY STAGE CANCER – BENEFITS
- Lump-Sum Benefit at 25% of the applicable Sum Assured is immediately payable
- Premium Waiver Benefit: Premiums need not be paid for the next 3 years
- The policy benefits will continue as such
MAJOR STAGE CANCER – BENEFITS
- Lump-Sum Benefit at 100% of the applicable Sum Assured is immediately payable (Less any claims previously paid)
- Premium Waiver Benefit: Premiums need not be paid at all
- Income Benefit: 1% of applicable sum assured shall be paid every month for next 10 years to the insured or to the nominee
The below are the sample premium rates for a 35-year old Male / Female for various sum assured (Fixed Option) & for a 30 year policy term:
- Waiting period of 180 days is applicable from date of issuance of the policy (or) date of revival for any benefits to be payable
- Survival Period of 7 days including the date of diagnosis is applicable for any benefit to be payable.
For exclusions on Early Stage Cancer & Major Stage Cancer – it is advisable to refer to the policy conditions and/or speak to the financial advisor as the it will be too technical to discuss here.
Over all, L.I.C’s Cancer Care is a wonderful product with low premiums in the financial fight against cancer.